Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Spark


He stared at the screen.  He leaned back in his chair stretched out his hand over his head all the while staring at the screen.  Years of coding since leaving the Tri-Verse had led him to this moment. Asa blinked and rubbed his eyes.  He did not know what would happen to the Tri-Verse once an ancient technology inserted itself into the modern one nor did he know if Tamar would reconcile.

His code was much like a floppy disks being inserted into a neur-ocular connection. He wasn’t even sure it world work, or if it did if Tamar would know who or what had sent it. With such a small amount of information the code had to be perfect. It was his masterpiece; his only way of letting Tamar know he was alive and happy.

He stared at the screen. This idea had come to him while meditating atop of his dune in the heat of the day. He knew it must be from the Almighty. It MUST be. He was not so intelligent to think of such a thing on his own. He’d had other attempts but nothing like this.

Asa had left the Tri-Verse because he was made to. Fearing he would pollute the priesthood with doubt he was not allowed to return to the Tri-Verse once his conscience had been discovered.  The decision was swift and the only connection he cared for was severed. Tamar, a new priestess in the order, was fragile in her newly tattooed state. Letting him near her was out of the question as far as the council was concerned. He shook his head at the memory.

He stared at the screen. He pushed enter. The communication that popped on the screen read “Message Accepted” and then a blue screen appeared and his system overloaded. He’d had the blue screen every other attempt; the “Message Accepted” was new. Tears ran down his weathered cheeks, cracks in the silver tattoos on his arms showed as he brushed them away. The old Abbot could only sit back and wait to see what God had wrought.

11 comments:

  1. In the triverse is everything centered around technology? if so do you think our lives should be centered around technology

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everything is centered around it but it plays a huge (much larger than in our present) place in their lives. I think our lives should be balanced but we must not ignore the incredible gifts that technology gives us either.

      Delete
  2. I'm a little confused on the time-spectrum of this story. Is this a flashback? Also, does Tamar characterize you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the blog before this that I wrote over break gives some detail. This is not a flashback- instead this is just a few days beyond the last time we saw Asa with the children. I have noted that it is confusing and I may go back and edit.

      Tamar and Asa both characterize me in a lot of ways. Tamar's loneliness and sighing are definitely things I've done/experienced. I love my network and my reliance on technology. I often refer to myself as a "facebook whore". However, Asa's love of the heat, his preference for kids and chatting and attempting to connect in a REAL way also hits home with me too. So perhaps it is the combination of the two that really characterize me.

      Delete
  3. Im like sam ...... If it is a flashback how does the use of technology play a role?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See message above for flashback issue.

      What do you mean by "play a role"? It seems pretty evident that Asa is using technology to try and connect with Tamar. Do you mean in some other way?

      Delete
  4. This story started and I thought it was about me. I literally started reading it the way you described This made me think of the older generation that gets a little frustrated when it comes to how fast technology moves and advances. As soon as they learn a technology or re-engage technology it has changed beyond their ability to function. What do we do for this group in the digital world?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats great! I think we need to set up easy ways for an older generation to be tutored through the changing landscape. Youtube videos, online chats and such to walk them through all the new fancy things that pop up!

      Delete
  5. How real is this virtual world you have created? Is it really where you think we are going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading that article on the Pew Research page about 2025 I really do feel like it is a realistic concept. The divides are deeper than ever both monetarily and religiously. Internet use in that world is synonymous with day to day life in this world.

      I suppose I'm not the first to view it this way. Matrix, Canticle for Leibwitz and other movies and literature has viewed post apocalyptic worlds in religiously dominated or technology dominated worlds. Now I'm just combining those ideals into one world

      Delete
  6. Who does Tamar try to connect with?

    ReplyDelete