The abbot stood on the highest dune. On one side he could
look down on his community of little hovels and on the other he looked out
across the expanse; a rolling sea of dunes as far as the eye could see. The sun
stood directly overhead and Asa lifted his face towards it, arms outstretched
and eyes closed absorbing the stinging hot rays. His skin, once pale with the
silver tattoos, had grown dark with the sun. He loved the heat.
Home in the city had been small drafty apartments kept cool
to aid the servers in not overheating. Sounds were muted, music didn’t exist in
the Physical sense and the only time he had physical contact with people was
when he was taking care of those who had burned out or couldn’t pay their
bills. His thoughts were interrupted by the children playing below- squealing
with delight as they splashed about in the fountain.
The servers and wires could not handle the heat of the
southern desserts even with their massive air conditioning systems. After the
revolution the cities had formed along the ancient border of America and Canada
leaving those who unplugged in the wasteland of the southern desserts. He
shrugged and brought his face away from the sun and turned to look at his home.
This space was sacred to him and he loved it so.
As he walked down the dune he wrapped his faded white habit
around him and headed home. Inside he picked up the large red stole, faded
almost pink with the sun, and placed it on his shoulders. He sat at his desk,
looked at the old screen and began typing on his keyboard. The community in
Texarkana had some bad weather last week and he needed to check in with the
abbot there.
Irony was not lost on Asa. His priestly duties when Plugged had
mostly been done in person and now Unplugged they mostly were done on a
keyboard. He sighed, just as Abbot Josiah picked up the video call and heard
him. They chuckled and then began to speak a prayer together.
Is this the future of relationships? Is this how you really think we will pray together? Is this connection as real if we "touched and agreed ...or where two or three are gathered?"
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure that this is how we will always pray together but I think it might be a big way we do. I've prayed and communed with people via skype when I was abroad and it kept me stable and feeling loved. Is physical presence better? Sure! Is it a requirement? Absolutely not. Where two or more are gathered is most definitely not about physical space any longer.
DeleteThe description is very bleak and somber. The future is shaped by the past, the thought of the history behind the demise of human relationship in your cyber world, how can it be changed to what most of us I believe hope for? or want to see?
ReplyDeleteI challenge the idea that it is bleak and somber. Is it different? Yes. Are both characters getting what they need? It seems so. Is their world imperfect? Absolutely. I don't see a demise in their human relationships- I see an evolution. What looks horrid to us may work well for them. How can we begin to see other people's communities and relationships in a positive light even if we don't quite understand them?
Deletei think on-line communities might have the ability to transcend time.......but especially many other prejudices like gender, age and race. In my on-line communities, i have become friends with people who I won't engage because they normally would not be in my circle. That is what i love about online communities the best
ReplyDeleteHow have you maintained these friendships? Do you talk regularly? Occasionally? What does "friendship" even mean in these cases?
DeleteThis might sound like a weird question, so I'm going to try and make it as clear as possible: These two that prayed together, would they still be praying together if they aren't able to hear or see each other? I wonder if there is a difference in this virtual space with a "spiritual space." Are we still together there?
ReplyDeleteI like this question. And I wonder about it. I'm still not sure if I even believe in the power of prayer (though I like to pray so who knows). I think we can be together in the spiritual space but I think this might be a lot harder to maintain.
DeleteAbbot Asa's relationship with people seems a little not joyful. Is it because of the setting?..
ReplyDeleteAre our own relationships joyful all the time? This is but one scene of the daily life of a man who's life has obviously been hard. Yet, he notices this children squealing, looks at his "hovel" of a home with sacredness and chuckles when someone hears him. I'm challenging the reader to look beyond what is on the surface and see the little things.
Delete